Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Great Return

I just returned from nearly two weeks in Mexico. I was fortunate to be able to spend such a long and vital time with my family. Usually when I return I'm afraid of what has happened while I was traveling. So, as per usual pattern I had a few anxiety nightmares a couple nights before my return home. The day before I awakened with a rapid heart beat. "What was Monday going to be like?"

I never know if on my return I will be crushed with disaster. The hard part about being a physician is the worrying. Before I leave I want everything tidy. All my patients in good shape. If anyone is sick or not recovering well from surgery I put in extra hours to get them straightened out. Luckily, I work with two excellent doctors that I have enormous trust for. Still, I don't want them to be upset that I left them a bunch of unfinished work. So, before this trip I had everyone in good shape. But, life is unpredictable and the healing arts are just that, art work. So, like I said earlier I get nervous before my return.

But this time was great. I walked in to my office and popped open my laptop to review all of my messages and patient files. Whew! No disasters. I made a few calls, updated people on their test results and renewed a bunch of prescriptions. Lucky for me Monday was a short day of paper work only. I wondered, "What will Tuesday be like?" Tuesday arrived and I started to see my patients. It seemed like everything was working. Everyone seemed to be in great shape. Postsurgical patients were healing, infections were going away, headaches and dizziness were better. A fluke? Nope! Wednesday has been the same. Everyone is doing great. New challenges arrived today but nothing I couldn't tackle. But best of all is that some of my most challenging patients are feeling better, happy and enjoying their regained health.

A great return! These vacations do more than just give me rest. I return with a new set of eyes and a fresh and energetic attitude. And the payback is great. It's hard to explain how much pleasure there is in seeing people responding to my treatment. Sometimes this is the greatest job and today is one of those days!

No comments:

Post a Comment